Skip to main content

The Old

O of #AtoZChallenge


At night, when the world would be making it's bed, waiting to drop down, my Aaji would put on her transistor in her bedroom and listen to old Hindi songs on radio. Suddenly, everything would go quiet. A warm, fuzzy feeling would envelope our house. A smile would appear on our faces, the worried wrinkles on the foreheads would disappear and we would find ourselves going down the Old World Lane! 

Ah! The eternal- Old World Charm! Even today when I hear any old Hindi song, my imagination turns into  black and white and I get transported right into the song! 

If I have to revisit an era, I would travel to the 'black and white Mumbai' era. When the streets looked squeaky clean, the Victorian buildings at VT, Churchgate basked in it's full glory, Marine Drive and the Arabian Sea looked it's cleanest. During my time-travel, I can feel the warm wind blowing, making my tresses dance. I imagine life to be simpler with lesser choices, lesser money, lesser crowd, lesser possessions. The black and white visual fills me up with warmth and a sweet assurance. I feel easy to breathe (and it's not just the cleaner air). 

Aaji, Ramesh Mama, my Mama-Aajoba are my only Grandparents of my life who told me tales of the Old Times; when they were young, when India was still not independent, when Mumbai was a 'rising city'. They told me stories from the 1920's to the early 70's. And whenever they did, I would find myself back in the Black and White imagery, re-living their tale. 

My Mama-Aajoba lived upto a hundred years! He was born in the late 1910's and he hit a century! A WHOLE 100 years!! He lived a glorious life of a small-town boy turned self-made Dignitary! As a teenager he got to hangout with Bhagat Singh at the local akhada! Inspite of his humble beginnings, he went on to study and work at the same time ! My Mama-Aajoba was amongst the first IAS officers of  the Independent India's First Government! He was called upon by Morarji Desai to be a part of the Committee to conduct Independent India's first ever Census! Strangely, to me my Mama-Aajoba was just my Bapu-Mama first; my Great-Grandfather who told me stories whenever I met him. He would always tell me that 'I was his favourite great-granddaughter' and I believed him :) 

My Aaji, my Mum's Aai, practically raised me with my parents. I spent more time with her than even my parents (as they would be working and making a living for us). She was born in the mid 20's and has entertained me with numerous stories of her growing up in the Old Mumbai, Dadar area; stories about she and my Aajoba (Dada) shifting to Mulund after marriage. Through her stories she painted the early-Mulund pictures for me. When Mulund was a little village, with a railway station and no electricity and pipeline-water! She tells me how Mulund had a handful of families; not what it is today! She told me how as a young married wife, she would draw water from the well behind the house; something that she had never done in her life as she lived in Mumbai city(Dadar)! There were no roads in Mulund; just big farm and grasslands. My Dada would travel by train to Mumbai city for work, and once he got off at the Mulund Station, he would walk back home, down a narrow lane with farms and grasslands on the sides; and a खाडी  at the distance! She remembers how Dada had got a bulb fixed in their house (when the electricity hadn't reached Mulund) and the night the electricity first reached Mulund, their house lit up dimly! 
It is in her retelling of her life, did I find comfort and solace. It was as if I was alive through those early years of Mumbai! 

Ramesh Mama is my Aaji's younger sibling. He is an eternal bachelor, who found solace with himself. He was working with Indian Railways and was posted in Ahmedabad and later Mumbai. His stories were about finding happiness in living a simple life. He lives alone. He STILL lives without a fridge, a water geyser and a TV. He is averse to technology and doesn't want to complicate his life with 'so much information and space'! Ofcourse he reads the paper and keeps himself updated. Mind you, he doesn't pay for the paper himself but prefers to borrow it from the neighbours when he 'feels' like reading! But his paternal family (my cousin Mavshi, who stays nearby looks after him and keeps him well-fed). Ramesh Mama has been my funny man, who always make us laugh, with his simple, silly humour :) It is 'signature Ramesh Mama' of him to bring me 250gms of Kaju-Katli every time (till date) he visits us! He still me tells stories of old memories, our family members, funny stories from his life and his travels. He gives me the craziest yet simplest tips on 'How to Simplify and Uncomplicate My Life'! He takes great pride in telling me that he uses just one gas cylinder through the year. He uses the gas to warm up the milk thrice a day (his superhit formula to live without the fridge)!  With him by my side, I feel happy, strong and grounded! 
Ramesh Mama is my only living Aajoba. Sadly, over the years I lost my closest grandparents. Having my Ramesh Mama around especially as I grow older, makes me feel rooted and sane!

I strongly feel that my connection with the old world exists because of my grandparents and the old Hindi songs! They are what I go back to, when I feel heavy and lost. To me 'feeling lost' if personified looks like a scared, lost child, with tears running down her cheeks. She goes running into the open arms of her Aaji, of the old songs. And when the old memories come rushing down and the old songs take over the uncomfortable silence, she feels the hug. The hug of comfort and love. And they whisper softly and lovingly,"It's okay! Cry. We are here!" 

The Old World, our Old Grandparents, the Old Memories, are a shield, a Guard standing to give us comfort and strength whenever we need. No matter where they are now and how old we are now and how old will we be, they are there! For they live within us.  These are the true Treasures of our lives! Treasures which are priceless and irreplaceable. They can never be stolen. These old memories of the old world can only be cherished, passed down and shared! 

It's worth a visit down the Memory Lane and the Old World. Maybe, we might find few answers to help us find ourselves too:)

(image courtesy: Google Images)






Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm smiling imagining the songs coming from the transistor in your house and the night carrying the music to you. Your writings filled with much warmth.
Archana said…
Absolutely! A touching post.. you are lucky to have had your Aaji around in your growing up years. Stopping by via the AtoZ master list!
Amruta Pradhan said…
Thank you so much Dear Anonymous and Archana :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Ghost in the House

“This house is just how you had described Mr. and Mrs Kruger!”, said the house broker.  Kris and Kate walked into the apartment and stared and stared.  The house had everything they had ever wanted- a living room just adequate enough to house Kate’s small library shelf in the corner and Kris’ editing machines and still have enough space for the seating when some extra friends came over to stay, a cozy bedroom with just enough light coming in, the perfect kitchen where they would cook together not too big not small, a bathroom good enough to fit a tub,  a balcony perfect to fit two chairs where Kate could make a tiny garden and where they could sip their morning coffee or have a glass of wine at night.  Kate whispered in awe, “This is it! This is just like a dream.!” The house broker smiled and added, “Surprisingly its just a little more than the half of what you had decided as your budget.”  Kate turned to Kris looking happy, “Lets take i

Choti Nalu

N of #AtoZChallenge Nalu म्हणजे Nalini, my Aaji. My Aaji has a played a BIG role in my life. My Aaji (Mum's mum) and we lived together till she passed away. I got her, all for myself till the time I was twenty-one years old!  She was not just my Aaji, but my roommate, my sister, my friend, my Guide, my Teacher! All rolled in one! My Aaji would often tell me stories. And some of these stories would be memories about her childhood. Whenever she narrated I would immediately be transported back in time, to the Mumbai of the late 1920's and early 1930's! My imagination would turn sepia and I would see my Aaji as a दोन वेण्याची छोटी choti Mulgi (but with my Aaji's face)!  Aaji grew in the heart of Dadar. Her father taught my Aaji everything! He put her in the best school of Dadar (King George semi-English), he helped her in her studies through school, he encouraged her to sing and learn the harmonium, he taught her to cycle on the f

A Big Leap

She sat in her room ready and alone. The make up artist had just finished the work, making her look the most beautiful that she had ever looked in her life. It was her big day. She was no longer going to be just a girl and a daughter. Within a few hours, she was going to be a wife and a daughter-in-law. She was going to be a woman! She looked at herself in the mirror and was taken aback. The woman in the reflection was looking different than she had pictured. All her life, she had imagined herself to be a bride. She had spent hours and days looking for the perfect dress that would be her bridal dress. Now that she had finally got what she wanted, she was still wondering if this woman staring at her from the mirror was indeed happy. It had been a long journey for her to see this day. She had been in love for eight years with a man who had dumped her in the end for not being of the same community. She had given him everything and had received nothing in the end. At times she wo

The Cute Coffee Boy

It was raining. I entered the cafe disgruntled. The stupid rain had wetted by library book. And my date was running late.  So here I was drenched with murk and water expected to dry off and sit in some corner reading a wet book as my date would make a late entrance. I headed straight to the counter to order a coffee. I saw no one. I yelled, “Will I have to make my own coffee?” A boy got up from under the counter and smiled apologetically, “Sorry. I will make one for you. What would you like?”  I forgot what I wanted. He had twinkling puppy eyes and his lips wore a warm smile. His words seemed like a song that I didn’t want to end. He looked into my eyes intently waiting for me to speak.  I wanted him. I wanted him to keep on talking to me.  “I would like one hot chocolate.” “And would you like some toasties to go with it?”  I wanted to say, “Whatever you say.” But I said, “Yeah cool.” Okay now keep talking. I asked, “Will you get the coffee at my table o

First School

F of #AtoZChallenge My first school was Yashomandir. At age four. It was a Nursery school in Mulund East.   The uniform was a red pinafore with a white shirt. My mum would fold a handkerchief in a triangle and pin it (with a safety pin) on the left-hand side.  My school name-badge would be pinned on top of it.  The Principal of our Yashomandir was Teacher-Aaji.  I never made an effort to know her real name because for me she was Teacher-Aaji. Whenever I meet her, I still address her Teacher-Aaji.  She was a tall, pathicha kana taath (spine-straight) woman who had the looks of a commanding yet a kind Principal.  My class teacher's name was Rita Teacher.  My memory of walking down the street to Yashomandir is fresh to the extent that I still remember how the sunshine felt, how I hopped and skipped to school holding my Aaji's hand, the warm breeze that flowed, the hide and seek the sun played through the shady trees.  I even remember the bird who would chirp wh