Skip to main content

JC: Junior College


J of #AtoZChallenge 

When I was in school my idea of college was heavily influenced by movies especially Ishq Vishk (which was far more realistic than Dil Chahta Hai, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and even Remix!)

I remember my two years of Junior College in bits and pieces. It was almost like walking into a colourful, youth movie set. There were all sorts of teenagers wearing cool outfits, some wearing no-brainer normal outfits, some trying to be fashionable and some just being themselves. I think the idea of 'not wearing a uniform' was itself daunting. I couldn't believe I had to make an effort of thinking what should I wear every day to college. And feel as if I was going to be judged every day! I would secretly feel like Gabriella from High School Musical and would wonder if people would randomly start jumping and dancing all around! 

My college was a huge quadrangular building with dark, cool corridors, breezy second and third floors, an air-conditioned auditorium, a secret floor with forbidden access (where we would often trespass and copy the missed out notes), a Hogwarts' like library mostly with reference books and study cubicles, and an ever-busy, ever-full, lip-smacking vadapav smelling canteen! It had a ground in the middle of the college; where students would perch up on the sides of the balcony and watch the students' matches. There were some nooks and corners in the college where young/recently hooked couples would sit and have hard-to-eavesdrop conversations. 

Now when I look back, the two years seem funny as well as thrilling to me! All of a sudden hundreds of options opened up. It's like no one was watching you, ready to punish you or question you. People my age were (without any restrictions) dating, falling in love, were bunking lectures and chilling in canteen while you knew your class was in progress, eating what they liked and when they liked, hanging out with random people. Some were smoking openly, even secretly boozing, playing sports and joining different clubs (theatre, history, psychology, sports etc). It was just like  movies! 

More importantly we were exploring new subjects and just observing different people from different places under the same roof! We were a group of friends comprising of four girls and two boys. It's funny how we all came together. There were hardly any common interests and the streams were different. We hung out a lot; went to movies, ate out, bunked classes, explored the new malls. And just when all this felt like a movie, to make my Junior College days more 'happening', the movie Rang De Basanti, released. I wasn't the only one who would imagine RDB's songs in the background when we hung out! In the end only four of us stuck together and I find it relieving that we four are still friends and meet whenever the four are in town. Funny, that all of us are married now and chose different paths in our careers! 

(Bottom l-r: Adwait, Savina, Me, Keval. Top picture is when we were in SYJC.

The most hyped and fun days, the whole college looked forward to, were those 'Dress Days'- Pink and Blue Day,  White Day, Rose Day, Chocolate Day, Saree and Tie Day. Some people thought it was too lame to be followed but I had followed the Pink and Blue Day to the T and didn't bother to be go dressed in a saree (that would have been too much for me). Frankly nobody cared to give anyone roses and chocolates (because that would mean spending extra money). Yes, the popular and likeable girls received roses and chocolates, but I think the guys were either too shy or too cool to follow a lame trend! And the girls didn't bother to reverse the trend and 'give' a rose to anyone! 

Another EVENT of everyone's college lives was the College Fest. My college hosted Dimensions! It was considered to be amongst the most happening college festivals in the central suburbs of Mumbai. It was by far the coolest college event I had ever witnessed in my life as a sixteen year old! The entire centre ground was filled with bobbling, excited, wide-eyed heads! My friends and I didn't want to get lost in the sticky-sweaty sea. So we chose a better spot; right on the second floor of the college building and enjoyed the stage shows. 

The only time we made our way through this sea of students was the Band Event. It was also my first time that I attended a 'Rock Show.' The College bands were really talented! People could actually play the guitars, drums and sing! While I didn't understand the head-banging and the 'moshpit', I had a blast laughing at the bumping-jacks and tried some head-banging myself. Ofcourse it was painful the other day! But worth a try! 

My entire FYJC and a part of SYJC went in hanging out and having fun. The only subjects I have the memory of studying with keen interest were French and Psychology. I hardly have any memory of studying other subjects. I remember the classrooms and few random batchmates though.  I have little memory of the Professors (four to five max)! I took French lessons from my trusted and most favourite Teacher Ms. D'Souza (my school-time English tuition teacher). And just because of her I could dare to bunk French at college! 

A few months before the most dreaded and extremely important '12th std/ HSC exam' I went underground. I lost touch with the college, with batchmates, even with a few friends. We didn't meet, hardly spoke to each other. Savina and I would just talk at night, trying to keep each other awake, so that we could study. My Mum had seen enough of me galavanting. She made sure I studied my eyes out! Ofcourse I am thankful to her for studying with me. But it was also the first board exam that I was studying for, that had subjects which I liked! In the end, I outdid and surprised myself by scoring quite a great score (for me)! I was happy and moved on from my college. I knew none of my friends and I were going back to the same college. And henceforth would be making a specific choice that would help me guide me in my career. Little did I know what the next three years had in store for me. They were definitely not about bookish studying :) 

Though Junior College lasted for two years and though I hardly remember what I studied, I truly cherish the memories of making friends, the funny memories I had with them, some random people I met, few movies and songs that were released and for which I had bunked college! 
JC gave me my first taste of living a young, carefree life without any expectations and responsibilities. It gave me the space to spread my wings as I was preparing to fly :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ghost in the House

“This house is just how you had described Mr. and Mrs Kruger!”, said the house broker.  Kris and Kate walked into the apartment and stared and stared.  The house had everything they had ever wanted- a living room just adequate enough to house Kate’s small library shelf in the corner and Kris’ editing machines and still have enough space for the seating when some extra friends came over to stay, a cozy bedroom with just enough light coming in, the perfect kitchen where they would cook together not too big not small, a bathroom good enough to fit a tub,  a balcony perfect to fit two chairs where Kate could make a tiny garden and where they could sip their morning coffee or have a glass of wine at night.  Kate whispered in awe, “This is it! This is just like a dream.!” The house broker smiled and added, “Surprisingly its just a little more than the half of what you had decided as your budget.”  Kate turned to Kris looking happy, “Lets take i

Choti Nalu

N of #AtoZChallenge Nalu ą¤®्ą¤¹ą¤£ą¤œे Nalini, my Aaji. My Aaji has a played a BIG role in my life. My Aaji (Mum's mum) and we lived together till she passed away. I got her, all for myself till the time I was twenty-one years old!  She was not just my Aaji, but my roommate, my sister, my friend, my Guide, my Teacher! All rolled in one! My Aaji would often tell me stories. And some of these stories would be memories about her childhood. Whenever she narrated I would immediately be transported back in time, to the Mumbai of the late 1920's and early 1930's! My imagination would turn sepia and I would see my Aaji as a ą¤¦ोą¤Ø ą¤µेą¤£्ą¤Æाą¤šी ą¤›ोą¤Ÿी choti Mulgi (but with my Aaji's face)!  Aaji grew in the heart of Dadar. Her father taught my Aaji everything! He put her in the best school of Dadar (King George semi-English), he helped her in her studies through school, he encouraged her to sing and learn the harmonium, he taught her to cycle on the f

A Big Leap

She sat in her room ready and alone. The make up artist had just finished the work, making her look the most beautiful that she had ever looked in her life. It was her big day. She was no longer going to be just a girl and a daughter. Within a few hours, she was going to be a wife and a daughter-in-law. She was going to be a woman! She looked at herself in the mirror and was taken aback. The woman in the reflection was looking different than she had pictured. All her life, she had imagined herself to be a bride. She had spent hours and days looking for the perfect dress that would be her bridal dress. Now that she had finally got what she wanted, she was still wondering if this woman staring at her from the mirror was indeed happy. It had been a long journey for her to see this day. She had been in love for eight years with a man who had dumped her in the end for not being of the same community. She had given him everything and had received nothing in the end. At times she wo

The Cute Coffee Boy

It was raining. I entered the cafe disgruntled. The stupid rain had wetted by library book. And my date was running late.  So here I was drenched with murk and water expected to dry off and sit in some corner reading a wet book as my date would make a late entrance. I headed straight to the counter to order a coffee. I saw no one. I yelled, “Will I have to make my own coffee?” A boy got up from under the counter and smiled apologetically, “Sorry. I will make one for you. What would you like?”  I forgot what I wanted. He had twinkling puppy eyes and his lips wore a warm smile. His words seemed like a song that I didn’t want to end. He looked into my eyes intently waiting for me to speak.  I wanted him. I wanted him to keep on talking to me.  “I would like one hot chocolate.” “And would you like some toasties to go with it?”  I wanted to say, “Whatever you say.” But I said, “Yeah cool.” Okay now keep talking. I asked, “Will you get the coffee at my table o

First School

F of #AtoZChallenge My first school was Yashomandir. At age four. It was a Nursery school in Mulund East.   The uniform was a red pinafore with a white shirt. My mum would fold a handkerchief in a triangle and pin it (with a safety pin) on the left-hand side.  My school name-badge would be pinned on top of it.  The Principal of our Yashomandir was Teacher-Aaji.  I never made an effort to know her real name because for me she was Teacher-Aaji. Whenever I meet her, I still address her Teacher-Aaji.  She was a tall, pathicha kana taath (spine-straight) woman who had the looks of a commanding yet a kind Principal.  My class teacher's name was Rita Teacher.  My memory of walking down the street to Yashomandir is fresh to the extent that I still remember how the sunshine felt, how I hopped and skipped to school holding my Aaji's hand, the warm breeze that flowed, the hide and seek the sun played through the shady trees.  I even remember the bird who would chirp wh