Skip to main content

The Quilt

Q from AtoZChallenge

Quilt. 
गोधडी. 
Hand-stitched गोधडी! 

When I was around seven or eight, my Aaji hand-stitched two गोधडीs for me. One was a magenta-red with white and orange dots and elephants on the border and the other was a bright mango-yellow with tiny white polka dots and a brown border. 
She had used four of her sarees, rather पात्तळ (her word for her everyday soft cotton sarees) and had undertaken this 'project of love' for me, her youngest grand-daughter! 
She had layered one saree over the other, keeping the pretty, softer side on the outside and had hand-stitched it with the thicker thread and a taller pin. 

My Aaji had a sewing machine at home. A regular tailor's machine, which worked manually. The one where you had to step on and keep pedaling and tapping for the machine to move. She had used the machine for years, stitching bags, pillow covers, making kids' dresses and many things (which surprisingly I never got to see). In my memory, this machine had gone rusty and stiff. I would often hide under the sewing table and imagine it to be a ride from an amusement park as when I would sit on it, I could make it go up and down. Other fascination was turning the wheel on the machine. It was stiff, but I loved using all my strength and make it go round! Sadly, my Aaji never found it amusing and I often got caught. The machine made a lot of noise and my Aaji would admonish me and send me off from my 'hiding-place'. She sold this machine as she wasn't using it anymore and I think she didn't have the strength to physically pedal it. 

I remember she had just got a cataract operation done. But that didn't stop her to pursue her love for stitching and I don't know what triggered her to make me two godhadis, but she spent a few months hand-stitching the two godhadis for me. 
I couldn't express how happy I was when she gifted me those complete godhadis. This was the first ever hand-stitched heirloom that I had received! 
I had seen her toil hard every afternoon, wearing her glasses, holding the thread and pin close to her face and sewing the quilt. I would often get scared and wondered if she would stab herself in the eye! 
She was proud of her creation and I think relieved that she had successfully accomplished her 'Aaji duties!' 
To express my gratitude, I used the two गोधडीs every night, till I was in college, and till the time I wore them off completely and till they began to spilt and tear! 
The orange godhadi had travelled with me to my first Himachal trek in Manali and had given me the much needed warmth and comfort when I would miss home! 

Years later when I saw the movie 'Stepmom',  the true meaning of the गोधडी struck me! 
Jackie (Susan Sandron) is dying of cancer and in her final days, calls Anna, her daughter to their room and gifts Anna a hand-made quilt. Jackie has hand-stitched some old photos, little fabric pieces of Anna's dresses (when she was little), the memories they both shared together and woven it into this heirloom. It is Jackie's way of wanting to be connected to her daughter, even after death separates them. She wants her daughter to know that even when she won't be around, Anna wouldn't feel alone. It is here that it struck me! 

(image source: Stepmom clip from Movieclips, Youtube)

The quilt is a hug! The quilt is that love, that protection you feel even when your loved one is no longer around. Jackie makes and gifts Anna a quilt so that whenever she misses her mum and whenever she feels like hugging her mum, she could just wrap herself in the quilt and feel the warmth and the love! 

It is then that I realised what my Aaji had gifted me! I don't think she would have really thought so much, but isn't that the real meaning of these heirlooms, that our loved ones leave for us? 
It's a Remembrall, about the person, about the love that they had for us. 
I strongly believe that even after our loved one passes away, the love remains, the blessings remain!
And death cannot do us apart! 

I don't regret a lot about wearing out my Aaji's गोधडीs. Even if they are torn and fragile, I still have them and have kept them tucked away. I would rather preserve them the way they are rather than re-working on them. I wouldn't want to change a stitch and undo what my Aaji has done! 
I don't really know if I have the guts to wrap the quilt around me. Because I know it is going to make me miss my Aaji even more and might make me bawl. 

But I know, I have many more memories and गोधडी like Remembralls of my Aaji, that I can cherish and might show it to my grandkids someday. 
And maybe hand-stitch some of my own versions of quilts for my loved ones, some day :)  


(image source: Stepmom clip from Movieclips, Youtube)

Comments

Unknown said…
Yes... Amuu definitely, the love remains ♥️♥️♥️♥️
CBarg said…
My didu = your aaji had one of those sewing machines at her house, it was rarely in use. I'd start running the pedals, didu would get angry, mum would be embarassed, my cousin bratpack happy i got mothballed for the day. I'd then wait for few days to get my hands, legs rather once again running that sweet sweet machine.

I Remembered it only when i read this. Wonderful writing Amruta, write more!
Amruta Pradhan said…
Thank you Gau and Bhargav :) Means a lot <3

Popular posts from this blog

First School

F of #AtoZChallenge My first school was Yashomandir. At age four. It was a Nursery school in Mulund East.   The uniform was a red pinafore with a white shirt. My mum would fold a handkerchief in a triangle and pin it (with a safety pin) on the left-hand side.  My school name-badge would be pinned on top of it.  The Principal of our Yashomandir was Teacher-Aaji.  I never made an effort to know her real name because for me she was Teacher-Aaji. Whenever I meet her, I still address her Teacher-Aaji.  She was a tall, pathicha kana taath (spine-straight) woman who had the looks of a commanding yet a kind Principal.  My class teacher's name was Rita Teacher.  My memory of walking down the street to Yashomandir is fresh to the extent that I still remember how the sunshine felt, how I hopped and skipped to school holding my Aaji's hand, the warm breeze that flowed, the hide and seek the sun played through the shady trees.  I even remember the bird who would chirp wh

The Ghost in the House

“This house is just how you had described Mr. and Mrs Kruger!”, said the house broker.  Kris and Kate walked into the apartment and stared and stared.  The house had everything they had ever wanted- a living room just adequate enough to house Kate’s small library shelf in the corner and Kris’ editing machines and still have enough space for the seating when some extra friends came over to stay, a cozy bedroom with just enough light coming in, the perfect kitchen where they would cook together not too big not small, a bathroom good enough to fit a tub,  a balcony perfect to fit two chairs where Kate could make a tiny garden and where they could sip their morning coffee or have a glass of wine at night.  Kate whispered in awe, “This is it! This is just like a dream.!” The house broker smiled and added, “Surprisingly its just a little more than the half of what you had decided as your budget.”  Kate turned to Kris looking happy, “Lets take i

Hugging the Himalayas

*Crump*  *Crip* *Kudum*  The leaves and the twigs broke under my shoes. I was panting and puffing and sweating. Ashu dada called out, “We are almost there!”  I put my head down and kept climbing until there was no more to climb.   “Guys, you got to see this!”  I raised my head and lost my breath.  We were standing atop a hill overlooking the the magnificent snow mountains. The Dhauladhar range covered in white swept across our eyes. The sky was a true ‘sky blue’ and the sun shone on the tallest of the peaks.  I was in heaven!  And to prove that the cities lay on the other side cramped up like little ants.  At Triund  and Photograph by me :)  Once I had gotten my bag in my yellow tent I sat outside and lay on my back  watching the soft fluffy white clouds breeze by, taking in every bit of the snow wonder. The snow mountains looked no less than a bowl of vanilla ice cream sprinkled with choco chips. If only I had a spoon that would fit what I could see! 

Zubu The Little Devil

Zubu laughed when others cried.  Zubu cracked up when he saw someone falling down and getting hurt.  Zubu became happy when he saw people sad.  Such was Zubu. People detested him. And called him The Little Devil.  Whenever Zubu walked on the streets people shunned him and ignored him. Zubu used to chuckle taking great pride in this treatment.  Zubu had no friends. And no family. As a kid he lived with a wretched, unloving aunt who had died too leaving him alone.  Zubu used to spend his day laughing at other’s miseries and then just before the sun had set he used to sit on the cliff overlooking the sea watching the orange yolk sink in the waters. Somehow this routine made him happy. But not the happiest.  Once Zubu was walking on the street when a bus sped and stopped a few feet away.  The bus sped away as fast as it had stopped. There was only one person who got off. The bus almost knocked down the person’s luggage. Seeing this Zubu roared with laugh

The 'R' Factor

R of AtoZ Challenge Co-incidentally, the names of the three most idolized heroes of my life, start from 'R'! I have been following them and idolizing them since I was seven or eight years of age! These three heroes have been my constant inspiration and I often fall back on them and their words when I slip into a slump or feel hopeless!  Ruskin Bond  'Rusty's Adventures' and 'Grandma Climbs a Tree' were amongst my first Ruskin Bond reads. I related to Rusty and would often imagine having a bindaast, brave Grandfather (like Rusty's) who  adopted and took care of ensemble animals in their big garden! And I secretly aspired (still do) to be that Grandma who climbs a tree and lives in a tree house!    (photo courtesy: Google images)  Ruskin Bond's stories are timeless, ageless and seem like a warm blanket on a rainy night! His stories are that much-needed hug that I hide into when I feel like sobbing or when I am really happy! Not