Skip to main content

The Cute Coffee Boy

It was raining. I entered the cafe disgruntled. The stupid rain had wetted by library book. And my date was running late. 

So here I was drenched with murk and water expected to dry off and sit in some corner reading a wet book as my date would make a late entrance. I headed straight to the counter to order a coffee. I saw no one. I yelled, “Will I have to make my own coffee?” A boy got up from under the counter and smiled apologetically, “Sorry. I will make one for you. What would you like?” 

I forgot what I wanted. He had twinkling puppy eyes and his lips wore a warm smile. His words seemed like a song that I didn’t want to end. He looked into my eyes intently waiting for me to speak. 
I wanted him. I wanted him to keep on talking to me. 

“I would like one hot chocolate.”

“And would you like some toasties to go with it?” 

I wanted to say, “Whatever you say.” But I said, “Yeah cool.” Okay now keep talking. I asked, “Will you get the coffee at my table or do I…” 

“No worries, I’ll serve you coffee myself.” 

I fidgeted wanting to make some talk. He noticed and said, “By the way the washroom is that way.” 
I took off my jacket and dried my hair with some of the tissues. I let them be a little dry to maintain the wet look. Then I looked at my face. It looked fine. 

 image courtesy: attitudetofood.com

I came out and ditched the corner table and sat on the centre table so that I could see the cute coffee boy as I ‘pretended’ to read my wet book.  

The cute boy came and served me coffee. As he placed the cup on the table I noticed I was smiling all along. I wiped the silly smile not wanting him to notice. But he did and smiled and went back to the counter. 

Just as I had sipped the first sip and let the warm chocolate melt in my mouth and picture the boy’s face I heard the voice, “So sorry for keep you waiting. It started raining all of a sudden and I couldn’t find a cab. And then the phone lines were jammed and..” 

I sighed, “Its okay. I understand.” I would have been okay if she hadn’t turned up at all. 

The rest of the date I couldn’t help noticing the cute boy stealing glances at me even as my date went on blabbering about her day and her shopping spree. 

I was bored. Bored of pretending. But I wasn’t ready yet. Not ready to face the world. And not ready to see the world accept me the way I was. 

Comments

ccw said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
ccw said…
chaan chaan :D
Prerna Anchan said…
Very very nice Amu :)
shreya sawant said…
:)veryyyyyyyyy nice :)

Popular posts from this blog

First School

F of #AtoZChallenge My first school was Yashomandir. At age four. It was a Nursery school in Mulund East.   The uniform was a red pinafore with a white shirt. My mum would fold a handkerchief in a triangle and pin it (with a safety pin) on the left-hand side.  My school name-badge would be pinned on top of it.  The Principal of our Yashomandir was Teacher-Aaji.  I never made an effort to know her real name because for me she was Teacher-Aaji. Whenever I meet her, I still address her Teacher-Aaji.  She was a tall, pathicha kana taath (spine-straight) woman who had the looks of a commanding yet a kind Principal.  My class teacher's name was Rita Teacher.  My memory of walking down the street to Yashomandir is fresh to the extent that I still remember how the sunshine felt, how I hopped and skipped to school holding my Aaji's hand, the warm breeze that flowed, the hide and seek the sun played through the shady trees.  I even remember the bird who would chirp wh

The Ghost in the House

“This house is just how you had described Mr. and Mrs Kruger!”, said the house broker.  Kris and Kate walked into the apartment and stared and stared.  The house had everything they had ever wanted- a living room just adequate enough to house Kate’s small library shelf in the corner and Kris’ editing machines and still have enough space for the seating when some extra friends came over to stay, a cozy bedroom with just enough light coming in, the perfect kitchen where they would cook together not too big not small, a bathroom good enough to fit a tub,  a balcony perfect to fit two chairs where Kate could make a tiny garden and where they could sip their morning coffee or have a glass of wine at night.  Kate whispered in awe, “This is it! This is just like a dream.!” The house broker smiled and added, “Surprisingly its just a little more than the half of what you had decided as your budget.”  Kate turned to Kris looking happy, “Lets take i

Hugging the Himalayas

*Crump*  *Crip* *Kudum*  The leaves and the twigs broke under my shoes. I was panting and puffing and sweating. Ashu dada called out, “We are almost there!”  I put my head down and kept climbing until there was no more to climb.   “Guys, you got to see this!”  I raised my head and lost my breath.  We were standing atop a hill overlooking the the magnificent snow mountains. The Dhauladhar range covered in white swept across our eyes. The sky was a true ‘sky blue’ and the sun shone on the tallest of the peaks.  I was in heaven!  And to prove that the cities lay on the other side cramped up like little ants.  At Triund  and Photograph by me :)  Once I had gotten my bag in my yellow tent I sat outside and lay on my back  watching the soft fluffy white clouds breeze by, taking in every bit of the snow wonder. The snow mountains looked no less than a bowl of vanilla ice cream sprinkled with choco chips. If only I had a spoon that would fit what I could see! 

Zubu The Little Devil

Zubu laughed when others cried.  Zubu cracked up when he saw someone falling down and getting hurt.  Zubu became happy when he saw people sad.  Such was Zubu. People detested him. And called him The Little Devil.  Whenever Zubu walked on the streets people shunned him and ignored him. Zubu used to chuckle taking great pride in this treatment.  Zubu had no friends. And no family. As a kid he lived with a wretched, unloving aunt who had died too leaving him alone.  Zubu used to spend his day laughing at other’s miseries and then just before the sun had set he used to sit on the cliff overlooking the sea watching the orange yolk sink in the waters. Somehow this routine made him happy. But not the happiest.  Once Zubu was walking on the street when a bus sped and stopped a few feet away.  The bus sped away as fast as it had stopped. There was only one person who got off. The bus almost knocked down the person’s luggage. Seeing this Zubu roared with laugh

RUNNiNG TWo STATES !

Ahh..there were all packed and coming back home... Reached Chandigarh just on time for the train. A visibly relieved Noon, our Baghdadi sent tour friend sat down with us after settling us all in the train. The dabba was in a mess. Stinky, messy, dirty. We had been lucky to get a brand new freshly painted dabba on our journey to Chandigarh. Already a bit sleep deprived we sat together hoping to catch a wink... Most of us got up after the afternoon nap before the Delhi station came in. The Delhi sun was too soft to ignore the Delhi cool winds. Hoping to find something hot and better than the watery chai some of us got down on the station. Nothing in sight. Just some chips and the normal tits bits sellers. The train was going to halt for some half an hour in Delhi. It was 5.00pm then. Hiten, Heena and I determined on finding something good to eat walked along the train. We remembered buying hot masala corns on the same platform while on our way to Chandigarh. Ahh.. there he was! Pickin