Skip to main content

Christmas Night


It was a beautiful night. The snow sat still and the stars shone bright. Andrea’s house was the tiniest on the lane yet the lights wrapped around her roof and the fence made her house look the prettiest. She lived alone. Her children had grown up and had settled in other cities. Her grandchildren visited her once a year in summer. But tonight, she was not going to be alone. Tonight was Christmas night.
It was going to be a special night. 

Tonight, she had invited all the people she loved. Andrea had cooked a delicious meal of chicken and steak. She had baked her famous fruit and wine cake and made a special batch of choco chip cookies. The table was set with cutlery and candles. The Christmas tree was beautifully decorated and around it laid wrapped gifts for everyone, handpicked by Andrea. Just as the clock struck six, her people walked in. 

First one was her best friend, Lucy with whom she had shared her entire life, followed by Lucy’s husband, James. Then walked in her sister Stephanie and her husband Sirius. Then came along Patrick and Trevor, Andrea’s friends from college. Finally came in Andrea’s soulmate, her partner, William. 

image courtesy: google images

The party settled around the dining table and laughed and chattered. Andrea looked at all of their faces, smiled and thanked God. It was just what she had wished for, all those people whom she had loved and with whom she had spent her best years were sitting in one room. Together. Happy. 

Next morning the phone rang. Andrea’s son-in-law Ryan, picked up. An unknown voice from the other end said, “Umm..Mr. Ryan?” 
Ryan wondered who would it be. 
The man said, “We found Mrs. Clemency sleeping next to the Christmas tree. We are sorry to inform you that your mother-in-law died in her sleep last night.”
Ryan loses his breath and thinks of his wife. 

The man continues talking, “I am Officer Smith. Mrs. Andrea Clemency was alone. But it seemed she had a few guests over last night. We found wrapped gifts with names Lucy, Stephanie and William on them. I think they were in the party with her. Do you know where they would be now? We would like to ask them a few questions.” 
Ryan hollers, “Is this some sort of a joke?” 
Officer Smith is confused, “Sorry?” 
Ryan snaps, “It’s tragic that my wife would have to find out about her mother’s death. But why would you be interested in a bunch of people who have already died a few years ago!”  


Andrea had wished to celebrate her last Christmas with her people, whom she loved and who loved her. God had just fulfilled her wish. 

- AP :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First School

F of #AtoZChallenge My first school was Yashomandir. At age four. It was a Nursery school in Mulund East.   The uniform was a red pinafore with a white shirt. My mum would fold a handkerchief in a triangle and pin it (with a safety pin) on the left-hand side.  My school name-badge would be pinned on top of it.  The Principal of our Yashomandir was Teacher-Aaji.  I never made an effort to know her real name because for me she was Teacher-Aaji. Whenever I meet her, I still address her Teacher-Aaji.  She was a tall, pathicha kana taath (spine-straight) woman who had the looks of a commanding yet a kind Principal.  My class teacher's name was Rita Teacher.  My memory of walking down the street to Yashomandir is fresh to the extent that I still remember how the sunshine felt, how I hopped and skipped to school holding my Aaji's hand, the warm breeze that flowed, the hide and seek the sun played through the shady trees.  I even remember the bird who would chirp wh

The Ghost in the House

“This house is just how you had described Mr. and Mrs Kruger!”, said the house broker.  Kris and Kate walked into the apartment and stared and stared.  The house had everything they had ever wanted- a living room just adequate enough to house Kate’s small library shelf in the corner and Kris’ editing machines and still have enough space for the seating when some extra friends came over to stay, a cozy bedroom with just enough light coming in, the perfect kitchen where they would cook together not too big not small, a bathroom good enough to fit a tub,  a balcony perfect to fit two chairs where Kate could make a tiny garden and where they could sip their morning coffee or have a glass of wine at night.  Kate whispered in awe, “This is it! This is just like a dream.!” The house broker smiled and added, “Surprisingly its just a little more than the half of what you had decided as your budget.”  Kate turned to Kris looking happy, “Lets take i

Hugging the Himalayas

*Crump*  *Crip* *Kudum*  The leaves and the twigs broke under my shoes. I was panting and puffing and sweating. Ashu dada called out, “We are almost there!”  I put my head down and kept climbing until there was no more to climb.   “Guys, you got to see this!”  I raised my head and lost my breath.  We were standing atop a hill overlooking the the magnificent snow mountains. The Dhauladhar range covered in white swept across our eyes. The sky was a true ‘sky blue’ and the sun shone on the tallest of the peaks.  I was in heaven!  And to prove that the cities lay on the other side cramped up like little ants.  At Triund  and Photograph by me :)  Once I had gotten my bag in my yellow tent I sat outside and lay on my back  watching the soft fluffy white clouds breeze by, taking in every bit of the snow wonder. The snow mountains looked no less than a bowl of vanilla ice cream sprinkled with choco chips. If only I had a spoon that would fit what I could see! 

The Quilt

Q from AtoZChallenge Quilt.  गोधडी.  Hand-stitched गोधडी!  When I was around seven or eight, my Aaji hand-stitched two गोधडीs for me. One was a magenta-red with white and orange dots and elephants on the border and the other was a bright mango-yellow with tiny white polka dots and a brown border.  She had used four of her sarees, rather पात्तळ (her word for her everyday soft cotton sarees) and had undertaken this 'project of love' for me, her youngest grand-daughter!  She had layered one saree over the other, keeping the pretty, softer side on the outside and had hand-stitched it with the thicker thread and a taller pin.  My Aaji had a sewing machine at home. A regular tailor's machine, which worked manually. The one where you had to step on and keep pedaling and tapping for the machine to move. She had used the machine for years, stitching bags, pillow covers, making kids' dresses and many things (which surprisingly I never got to see). In my memo

Zubu The Little Devil

Zubu laughed when others cried.  Zubu cracked up when he saw someone falling down and getting hurt.  Zubu became happy when he saw people sad.  Such was Zubu. People detested him. And called him The Little Devil.  Whenever Zubu walked on the streets people shunned him and ignored him. Zubu used to chuckle taking great pride in this treatment.  Zubu had no friends. And no family. As a kid he lived with a wretched, unloving aunt who had died too leaving him alone.  Zubu used to spend his day laughing at other’s miseries and then just before the sun had set he used to sit on the cliff overlooking the sea watching the orange yolk sink in the waters. Somehow this routine made him happy. But not the happiest.  Once Zubu was walking on the street when a bus sped and stopped a few feet away.  The bus sped away as fast as it had stopped. There was only one person who got off. The bus almost knocked down the person’s luggage. Seeing this Zubu roared with laugh